New Nav Bar

HOME     PRESS     BIOGRAPHY     CONTACT

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Novel... Charleston, SC

During my recent visit to Charleston, SC, I caught word of a new shop that was pretty impressive online, so I wanted to see how it looked in person. I stopped by Novel, a showroom hidden away on the second floor on King St. housing Library Vintage, Balboa & Jane Pope Jewelry, Blue Chickadee, and Bon Vivant.











































Lauren Lail is the curator of Library Vintage, hand picked vintage clothing and accessories. When I took a look around their showroom Lauren said she only picks clothing she would wear herself. When browsing through her collection, it felt like more like picking through the racks of Anthropologie, so her taste in vintage is more refined than your everyday vintage consignment shop. If I can even get the courage to say "my wife would wear this" when referring to clothing that isn't brand new, something very right is happening. 












































In the back of this all white showroom gem, you'll find Balboa & Jane Pope Jewelry, costume Jewelry, as well as a fine line JPJ by DC resident Jane Pope Cooper. I don't promote a large jewelery collection to women (I'm married, it can be dangerous). If you do want more than a few items and want to skip gold, gems, and diamonds, my motto is: make it yourself, or buy it from someone who did. The options for your jewelry accessories here are clean, classy, and probably all one-offs which is key to being fabulous and original.





















Also in the back of Novel is Blue Chickadee, hand painted items and artwork that are just cute! I don't really like using the word cute in text, but seriously, Look at those baby bloomers! Blue Chickadee artist/owner Way Way Allen does all the art work on canvas totes, bloomers, onesies, etc.. But seriously, I want to have a baby just to get some of those things (see picture below).






















Last on my list, but one of the first things you'll notice when walking into Novel, is Bon Vivant custom stationary by Liza Cleveland. I've been requested by the wife to take her to Novel almost just for this. At least I can re-direct some of my spending from Papyrus now. Get something custom or something hand drawn, yet another one-off opportunity that Novel will offer you.





















Novel was a great find. It was a bit hard to score some more dynamic photos since I was carrying a long lens, so you'll have to check it out yourself. I'm kicking myself for not snapping a photo of the stunning ladies who call Novel their work place, but it happens. From what Lauren Lail told me (who by the way is, "I forgot what I was about to say" - Gorgeous), they don't plan on leaving their lovely space anytime soon. Go visit Novel downtown Charleston at 341 King Street, Suite B , (up stairs) which is open Monday - Friday 10:30 - 3. Like many of the new retail surprises that Charleston is producing at a rapid rate, if you feel like you're walking into someones house, you're in the right place. When you stop by, tell them I sent you.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment