New Nav Bar

HOME     PRESS     BIOGRAPHY     CONTACT

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Virginia Tech Fashion Show 2012 - My Thoughts

I'll be posting a series of photos from the FMDS fashion show at Virginia Tech this week. It will give me some breathing room while I get settled in at Charleston Fashion Week. Here are my thoughts before we get to photos tomorrow.

First off - the show yet again proved to be very entertaining and enjoyable to attend. I think there are a few basic rules to a fashion show to make it work: good seating arrangement, good models, good music, back stage nonsense stays back there, and great lighting. The planning crew behind the FMDS show has it down pretty well.

The looks: the student designers really stepped it up from last year's show. What I've noticed in many student or novice designers is a fine line between boring department store look-a-likes and costuming. This year, what I saw was a great range of practical wearable clothing with some developing style cues. I don't take pictures of every outfit, it's just not how I shoot. I'm looking for things I like and that standout, just as if I was out shooting street style. I spent a good bit of time holding down the shutter which says a lot about what I was seeing, which is a good thing.

The bad: It was very clear that many of the student designers picked out some stellar models who would look good wearing a handkerchief, but I do feel that the belly showing tops were a bit overdone. One minor point was wrinkles, some outfits could have been hit with the steamer or iron before being hung up. Then again, I'm just getting over critical with this one.

Conclusion: the Virginia Tech fashion design department has some talent, and the show they put on in the spring is hands down the best fashion show this side of DC or Richmond. I look forward to sharing what I thought stood out this week.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment