New Nav Bar

HOME     PRESS     BIOGRAPHY     CONTACT

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

To Code: Denim on Denim on Denim

To Code: A Guide to Being A Better Gentleman 

When I think of iconic American fashion, I almost always think of denim first. Americans love their jeans, it has been that way for quite some time. Yes young people, before the 80's.

So a few weeks ago I was on Twitter and GQ was doing their monthly #AskGQ hash tag. So like the smart ass I am, I tweeted this question, "What's your take on jeans with a denim jacket? Or how about denim on denim on denim (jeans, jacket, shirt)?"




















Since I already had my opinion about this (which I'll get to in a second), what I was looking for was to see what GQ would say. GQ never responded which didn't really bother me, but a couple GQ Twitter followers did.

@Karimbergheim tweeted, " You can use denim jacket with jeans, but you need a contrast. A pair of dark jeans and light denim jacket."

@monsieurtruong tweeted something similar by saying, "That'd work if they're different shades."

Not to disagree just to disagree, but I actually am completely disagreeing with their opinions.

Here's my take guys: Jeans with a chambray shirt, Sure! chambray is like the distant cousin to denim, but they are two totally different fabrics. I've taken several shots of chambray on the street, like this post, and this post, lets not mention how often I wear blue chambray with dark blue jeans. Jeans with a jean jacket? I don't think so, this just isn't something I can promote. Different shades of blue or not, it's like a cowboy uniform, no cowboy would ever be caught wearing.

Of course in fashion there are always exceptions to the rule, when having drinks with a friend who is a fashion editor downtown in Charleston, she said," You know someone who can pull off denim on denim flawlessly? Rhett Boyd at Rogue Wave Surf Shop." I know Rhett, and oddly enough I agree - this time. That puts Rhett in the 1% of people who can pull off the "denim overload" look. With the exception of Rhett and the 1%, leave your jeans at home and try that jean jacket with some khakis or any other color than indigo. The whole denim on denim on denim thing was a joke, it's taking triple threat to a whole new terrible level. Then again, as fashion goes, there is an exception to everything and even the right person can probable pull off full on denim head to toe.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment