New Nav Bar

HOME     PRESS     BIOGRAPHY     CONTACT

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

To the Blind Reader...

I often keep my defensive side at bay when it comes to my blogs, both here and with The Roanoke Times, no matter how much I want to virtually throat chop most of them.

One comment seems to be a frequent statement from my readers.

" You photography only 20 somethings, why not more people over the age of 40!" Then they always like to make a point that older people have more money to spend on clothing than a 20 year old.

Well, one person decided to comment on my Facebook page. Since they will probably delete it before I can share, I figured I'd just share what I had to say here on my personal blog.

------------------------------------------

From the reader

Just read your latest Style Street. As always, it's interesting, BUT, everyone profiled is 20 something. Occasionally you profile someone 30 something, rarely 40 something, and almost never 50+. You are falling into the media trap that worships youth.
Wake up! Older generations have style too. We'd like to see style mavens that we can relate too. And why not? We have the money to spend on fashion, way more than the 20 something crowd. Give us some stylish examples of experienced fashionistas. Hint: they frequently have white hair!

My reply

Thanks for reading. Since its my column/blog I'm defending here, I cannot agree with you on this one. Sure 20 something's get the spotlight often on Style Street, but why shouldn't they? Just as the 30, 40, 50+ get celebrated for having great style, these 20 something's are daring enough to push our conservative limits of fashion tolerance. They are exposing us to what's new, what's trending, and not "two years behind" as many see the fashion in our area.

Sure, age typically brings a certain amount of success, which is often rewarded with higher earnings. Money can buy you nice and expensive clothing but it can't buy you a ounce of style.

So I will reference a few lines of my generations pop culture to help remind you the truths of age, "Gray hair ain't a crown of wisdom," and " money can't by you class." In other words, you can be one of the oldest, wealthiest people in Southwest Virginia and still have zero fashion sense.

To close my defensive rant here, I'd love to meet and photograph more of these stylist people over 50 everyone keeps commenting about (honest). So maybe I can suggest you tell them to park their nice car their adult money was able to afford, get out and take a walk around town sometime, I might actually find them that way.

I've said it many times over, I do not judge people by they age, race or color, all I want are stunning photos of people showing off impeccable STREET STYLE. People can get dressed to the nines after dark, for a day at the mall, a concert at the civic center or the symphony, but if they don't like walking the sidewalks of one of the downtown areas during the day light, I will never run into them to be able to photograph them.

Also, this is my opinion versus yours. Your entitled your opinion, then again who's the one walking and waiting, looking to run into stylish people each month? Hint: He has jet black hair and probably always will.(thanks genetics!)

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment